Wednesday 27 February 2013

Felted Friends

What exactly is needle felting?

It is the process of interlocking wool fibers by stabbing them with a large barbed needle. The barbs catch the scales on the fiber, forcing them to tangle and fuse together. To make an animal sculpture  it can take hours of work and sometimes thousands of stabs from beginning to end.

It does take time, but I  (Renee) personally find it therapeutic and very relaxing. It is interesting to see the different styles we all create, even when we are all following the same pattern. Turns out I - who normally don't pride myself on fine detail ( I struggle with patience : ), end up needle felting very, tiny, tiny creatures. Normally in an art project I become overwhelmed when I approach a section that involves detail and patience. Not so with needle felting! I actually like it, which is a surprise. Check out the following books, stock up on fleece and give it a try. Perhaps you will learn something new about yourself in the process.

The books that we love and guide us:

Felted Feathered Friends

Wool Pets

Here is what has come to life in our home!





No comments:

Post a Comment